First, due to strong demand, we are offering additional computer photo workshops for anyone interested in learning about how to work with photographs on the computer. A course description follows below.
We are continuing our Print-of-the-Month program with an image for March, to introduce new images to collectors and anyone interested in fine photography for the home. Details are listed below along with a web link to view this month’s print on Flickr. The February print is available through the end of March as well.
Please give Tim Barnwell a call if you have any questions about either item.
Basic Image Management
First offering: Wednesday, March 23, 2-5:30pm (3.5 hours)
Second offering: Thursday, April 14, 2-5:30 pm (3.5 hours)
Participants need: PC laptop if available. Bring camera and memory card, some of your own images you might like to work with, notepad, a couple blank CDs to test burn.
Description: This workshop is designed for artist or anyone who needs an introduction to managing photographers on the home PC computer. It will cover basic computer operation and workflow related to image handling and photo manipulation starting with the captured image (from your camera or provided by a photographer). Topics include importing photographs into the computer, basic image manipulation in Photoshop Elements, converting Jpeg images to Tiff and uses of each type file, the digital imaging basics of file types, sizes, and resolution (dpi/ppi), sttoring, organizing, and archiving images on the computer, burning CDs, preparing files for email, web page, print output and for Internet sites like Zapp and Juried Art Services. We will use Photoshop Elements to improve images by cropping, resizing, color correcting, sharpening, correcting flaws, and much more. Class size is limited to four participants per workshop in order
to give maximum attention to the particular needs and skill level of each participant. We have three computers for use here, or you can bring your laptop running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, loaded with Photoshop Elements (version 8 preferable; available from local office supply stores or online at sites like B&H Photo in New York). A basic understanding of Microsoft Windows is needed, but no prior Photoshop knowledge is necessary.
Instructor: Tim Barnwell has been a professional photographer and photography instructor for thirty years. He has taught dozens of workshops and served as director of Appalachian Photographic Workshops from 1980-88. He has recently taught photography classes at AB Tech and UNC-Asheville. He is known for his photographic knowledge and expertise, ability to relate complex subjects, and for his patience and diligence as an instructor.
Print of the Month
Our “Print of the Month” Program is designed to introduce collectors to new, previously unpublished images. We are able to offer special initial pricing, as these images are not available through galleries until after they rotate out of the Print of the Month program.
· 11 x 14 Archival inkjet print, mounted & matted on museum quality 16 x 20 board. A new print will be offered each month
· Discounted initial offering price: $295 (plus 7.75% NC sales tax)
· No need to be enrolled in any program to receive this special pricing, but an additional 10% discount is offered on all of Mr. Barnwell’s regularly priced prints and books, for those enrolled in our Automatic Purchase Program (12 prints for 2011; credit card charged once print is delivered each month)
Limited Edition Photographs:
“Limited Edition” means that a maximum of thirty (30) photographic reproductions will be made of an image, per image size (11 x 14)
Each Limited Edition Photograph is mounted, matted, signed and numbered
· Price will stay at $295 for two months, including the initial month of offering
· After two months, the photograph is removed from Print of the Month status and goes to full retail price. Prints in this size are normally $600 for unpublished images; $1200 for images from his three books
· Prints may be ordered framed (black metal 16 x 20 frames, with Plexiglas) for an additional charge of $35
· Prints may be ordered by calling Barnwell Photography 828-251-0040 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Allow up to 2-3 weeks for delivery depending on inventory/demand
· Prints may be viewed and purchased at Barnwell Photography, 244 Coxe Ave., Asheville, NC 28801. Shipping available at additional charge
March offering (POM pricing good through April 30, 2011):
· “Tree Branches, Ice & Snow”
This month’s selection, along with additional details can be viewed at this link